Thursday, September 23, 2010

90 degrees

Okay. so it was 90 degrees out today.
On September 23.
School picture day.
High humidity=bad hair day for me.
Second year in a row.
I'm only a little bitter.

Last year when I gave Mr. one of MY school pictures he advised me to get re-takes.
Yeah, we have been married a LONG time.

So, what is a girl to do in this oppressive heat?

READ!

Here are a few I've gone through recently.


Julia Child My Life in France: I loved it.  
I saw the movie Julie and Julia and I found I only enjoyed the Julia part, 
(even though I do love Amy Adams).
I have been to France. 
 I love it there.  
More than Italy.
So I loved this book, and you will too.

Wendy Burton Dead End Gene Pool:  Good read.
I adore the Gilded Age.  
I have often thought I was meant to live in those times
even though I would probably have been lucky just to be a maid.
Wendy is the great Commodore's great-great-great-great granddaughter
and she dishes about the family.
And how there is little money left on her side.
It's a little dark, a little funny and a little sad.  

Kristin Chenowith A Little Bit Wicked: Hmm, light.
Super fast read, not much new information, 
unless you didn't know she was trained as an opera singer.

Judith Matloff  Homegirl:  New York Times writer.
about buying a house in Harlem and rehabbing it, 
with drug dealers hanging out on the front stoop.
This gal's got chutzpah.
It's not at all a romantic story of a house turned into a home.
It's gritty and real.

Carole Raziwill  What Remains:  absolutely tender.
I read Just Jackie recently
and while crawling around on the bottom shelf
I was curious abotu this book, as I know that Lee Raziwill is Jackie's sister.
Carole is Lee's son Anthony's wife.
Carole and Anthony were married 5 years and Anthony died of cancer.
This is the tender story of tragic loss.
Reviews on-line were sometimes mean.
It was suggested that the only readers were interested
in reading about JFK Jr. and Caroline Bissett,
who are also included in the story.

IT IS NOT THEIR STORY.
It is a lovely story, but it is not about them.
You should read it.
I cried.
It is lovely, raw, and sometimes ugly.
Just like cancer, love, and loss.
If I ever see Carole Raziwill on the street
I will hug her.

So, that's what I've been doing.
How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment