Thursday, March 8, 2012

Chickens


Some years ago,
Aunt Nancy gave me this
adorable little chicken
to cover a plastic Easter egg.


She thought I could make some of my own.

I have decided to clean up my house,
 including my yarn stash,
and I had some purple leftovers.

I made this little gal:


She still needs a beak and a comb,
but I think it looks pretty good.

Here's how I did it:

Using sport weight yarn and size 6 needles,
Cast on 30 stitches.

I used 2 circular needles as I just learned this technique
 in my sock knitting class,
 but you can use double-pointed needles as well.
Work in K1 P1 for 6 rows.
(1 inch)
Then, switch to stockinette stitch for 9 rows.
(1 1/2 inch)
You can see in the original chicken
was garter stitch,
but my chicken ins a city chicken and 
she wanted a more sophisticated stitch.
(HA!  My chicken is full of herself.)

You can bind off 18 and stitch them together, 
or...
I put them on a stitch saver 
and later closed ALL my stitches with the kitchener stitch
because I learned it in my sock class.
It's up to you!

Continue knitting 12 stitches 
for the neck and head for 5 rows.
(1 inch)
Again, now you either bind off
or now you can kitchener stitch everything,
if you are a show off 
and want to impress your friends
with your mad kitchener skills.

Find some scrap yarn
 to mix with your actual yarn,
and jazz your gal up 
with some BIG CITY tail,
find a plastic Easter egg,
(preferably one filled with chocolate)
and add the beak, comb, and eyes 
and Cluck Cluck! 
You got yourself a swell Easter treat.

I gotta go...my chicken is asking for a beak, eyes, and comb.
She's the bossiest of chickens,
I can already tell.



No comments:

Post a Comment