Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Knitter's Home Companion

I have been learning life lessons.
Through knitting.

I have learned that the time invested to knit something lovely
should not be wasted with poor quality yarn.
No one wants to wear it.

I have also learned to 
 knit in a new way.
I knit 
'prayerfully'.

As I stitch, I say a prayer for the receiver of the knitting.
My hope is that my knitted gifts will feel like a hug,
a reminder of my love for that person,
a tangible blessing.

Knitting connects us to others
and to ourselves.


This book enhances those lessons.




I got it from my library, 
the only building in Pittsburgh not afraid of windows
and light.
The New York Times is delivered there.
Every. Single. Day.

I should buy this book.
You should buy this book.

It is full of recipes, sketches, patterns, book recommendations, and essays.

It is easy to pick this book up
and hard to put down.

You'll want to go back to it again and again.

I love this quote:

"I have knit in the company of those whose names I'll never forget,
those who are knit and purled forever into my heart."

and this one from Elizabeth Zimmerman:

"Knitting is formed by a series of loops pulled through loops
to the end of time
or to 'desired length'."

The author Michelle Edwards discusses how knitting 
connects her to her family, 
especially to those generations who have gone before her.

My grandmother died when I was 10,
with no lessons,
and no desire to knit,
her needles were given to me.

It took 15 years for me to find the grace
to accept the gift
and the challenge to carry on the tradition.

 I love knitting with her needles today.
My hands rest and work
where hers once did.

I think of her as I knit.
It is the best way to celebrate her life.








No comments:

Post a Comment